In the Parish of Cromford, on Mill Lane, sits the Parish Church of St. Mary’s.
Originally planned as a chapel for Willersley Castle, by Sir Richard Arkwright, St. Mary’s was completed five years after Sir Richard Arkwright’s death in 1797. In 2002 the church closed for four months while extensive renovation work was carried out, and was re-dedicated by the Bishop of Derby in April 2002.
The Arkwright family are buried in the small graveyard, and Sir Richard Arkwright is in the crypt beneath the chancel.
The interior is stunningly decorated with murals and stained glass by the Victorian artist A. O. Hemming.
Page Last Modified On: 11th May 2012